Sunday, June 21, 2009

Peeing in public

Ah yes, how apropos that the fine points of peeing outside have been passed on from father to son this Father's Day.

We were at waterpark at the zoo today and as we were getting him out of his wet swimwear Dex announced that he wanted to go pee. We were at a bench by the chamois and mountain goat exhibits at the time when he made the announcement. To those horrified that I'm encouraging my son to pee in a public park, I like to say in my defense that I did not expect this. I actually thought it was going to be a quick diaper change -- just pull out the wet swim trunks, remove the wet diaper and replace with a dry one -- but obviously, he had other plans.

"I have to pee," he said so I tried to stand him up and there was this awkward moment when I was holding him under the pits and I was trying to balance him but he wasn't cooperating. I realized then that he's only ever peed sitting down on the potty so that's what he was trying to do! Once we got him on a good sitting position, he actually did his little tinkle on the grass and I was ready to put on his diaper when he said "I have to pee some more."

This time, Dad took over and told him how to do the deed standing up: the importance of finding the right spot, how to stand feet apart, then hold it and point it just so, then pee without dribbling on the leg. Such a sweet little father/son moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home