Thursday, April 30, 2009

Currying favours

When in doubt, make curry. That's my feeding mantra with Dex. He loves the stuff and we have the stained shirts to prove it! Got some April showers today so comfort food was required. I decided to make him a chicken curry with mushrooms. Served with couscous, it proved to be quite popular. Bye, bye organic House of Mongrel cotton shirt with the peace sign. I don't think I'll ever be able to get tonight's stains out.

Couscous is another mother's best friend. Boil water. Add couscous. Cover for five minutes. Fluff with fork. Sometimes I get a little fancy and add some chickpeas and other stuff, but most of the time, that's all I do. It's awesome stuff and Dex loves it. One downside: I end up cleaning couscous from every fold of his outfit, every crevice of his high chair, the floor, and the entire kitchen. For some reason, the stuff seems to scatter. But, I'm learning: no sense cleaning up too quickly after the meal. Like rice, couscous easily wipes up/vacuums up when it's dry.

~~~

I have the phone number of the nearby Caribbean restaurant programmed in my blackberry. Sometimes when I take Dex to the playground after school, I order before leaving the playground (vegetarian roti -- please pack the roti separately), take the long way home and pick it up. It's actually quite funny, because I just roll by with the stroller or red wagon, wave to the waitress and she comes out to the curb with my take-out order. I hand her the money, she runs back to get me change, she ooohs and aaahs over how cute Dex is, and we're off. You can say it's our local roll-by restaurant. And yes, Dex loves the veggie curry and roti.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home