Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Cold turkey

Yes! I remembered the cranberry sauce. I put it on the table as we were setting it, which -- duh -- makes so much sense, I don't know why I never, ever did that before. That's the good news. The un-good news is that I was slightly disappointed with this year's sauce. I let it boil down a little more than usual so it had a more jelly consistency than the jammy one I prefer. Oh well. I can always use the boy as an excuse. He "helped" me with the preparations. He helped me wash the cranberries and helped me place them in the saucepan. He also insisted on supervising the rest of the sauce-making process which made it difficult for me to move around.

Thanksgiving dinner was very nice. The turkey was perfect and my timing was even pretty good. I had everything ready for a 6:30 dinner. Of course, the last 30 minutes of that was slightly chaotic but that's the thing with a turkey dinner. I find that no matter how prepared I am, everything comes together in the last 20 minutes as the turkey comes out, gets carved and as gravy gets made. Those movie scenes where the table is all nicely set and the bird is ceremonially carved at the table? It never ever made sense to me. When I see that scene I think some of those vegetables must be awfully cold by the time you get that turkey carved and passed around.

Despite our best efforts, lots of turkey leftovers today. Turkey barley soup and turkey pot pies will get made tomorrow so I can get some much needed fridge space again. Dex loved the turkey (dark meat especially) and he loved the squash and stuffing. Not too fond of that pumpkin pie, but that's okay. He was happy with an apple for dessert.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I know what you mean about those last 20 minutes. While the turkey was being carved for our dinner, keep-warmables went back in the oven, the drippings in the roasting pan were spread apart two burners and constant stirring to prevent lumps as the gravy reduced started.

Tim made an awesomely impressive pumpkin pie this year. His girlfriend had never had it before, so they went to the farmer's market, bought a pumpkin, roasted it, seasoned it, and assembled the pie with an incredibly flaky homemade crust. It was definitely the highlight of my thanksgiving this year.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home