Tuesday, September 30, 2008

19 Months

The vocabulary is really coming along. I'm sure Jon will say that this development coincided with the month I had laryngitis ("The poor boy finally got a chance to get a word in.") but I'm sure it was only coincidence. If anything, I think it had something to do with being with the older toddlers.

I also need to remind myself that the little guy now understands everything. And I mean everything! We are starting to spell out words these days when we don't want him to understand the conversation. For example, the word of the week seems to be "cracker" so if you ask him what he wants for breakfast, he will say cracker. For lunch? Cracker. For a snack? Cracker. So whenever we need to leave the house, I ask Jon if he packed any c-r-a-c-k-e-r-s in case the little guy asks for one. Otherwise, he will want that cracker right then and there. Luckily, "cracker" comes in many forms. I've managed to convince him that cheerios and shreddies are crackers so at least I'm able to substitute healthier options especially for breakfast.

Also, another clue to the comprehension: I will be doing something like wiping up the floor and, to distract him so I can continue with my task, will ask him to do something completely unrelated like look out the window to see if he can find the cats. The next thing I know, he's off to the window to look for cats. He understands. So, when he doesn't do what I ask him to do, it's not because he doesn't understand or can't hear, he just does not want to do it.

Speaking of not wanting to do things: lately, there's been a lot of procrastination. In the morning, he procrastinates when we're trying to get him out of his pajamas and ready for daycare. First, he has to say good morning to all his bears. Then he has to sit in this rocker. Then he wants to read his books. Then he wants to look at pictures on the computer. Then he wants to pet the kitties. Then he wants to dance in front of and look at himself in the mirror. It goes on and on until I finally have to lift the wriggling, resisting thing to change his diaper and into his day clothes.

And the wriggling and the struggling! Oy! He's been doing the Gandhi for us -- this passive resistance tactic -- when we try to lift him. He just goes limp. One minute I think I got a good grip of the guy under his arms but as soon as I try to lift, the arms just go straight up, he turns into liquid form, drips out of my grip and settles on the floor.

I used to think that he's been procrastinating in the morning because he hated his new class. In fact, he loves his new toddler group! The report from his dad is that while he cries when they are leaving the house to go to daycare, by the time I am out of sight, he has settled down. He is getting used to the new routine, new toys, new friends that he barely gives dad a goodbye wave when he gets dropped off.

I think these signs just mean that he is starting to realize that there are things within his control. "If I act this way, I can influence outcomes." Must be that asserting independence thing.

Update for this 19-month old:
- as at last doctor's visit: 25 pounds and 30 inches (now being plotted on the growth chart uncorrected)
- wearing two-year old shirts, but pants still on the small side (size 18 months). Will those legs ever lengthen?
- tooth number 14 is still trying to erupt
- survived two back-to-back colds without an ear infection!!
- new expressions: all done, night night, Oh no
- so many new words but a few favourites: stickers, snail, bug, car, cracker, juice
- used up all 80 pieces of his blocks to build a tower almost as tall as he is
- can follow two-part directions: "please pick up the magnet and stick it on the fridge"
- now answers questions other than the yes/no kind
- has memorised his sign language book (I actually thought he could read!)
- now filling in words when we read stories
- does a lot of play-acting (would feed his bears or give them drinks or pat them to sleep)
- getting really active. Now climbing the couch, walking along the back of the couch, hurling himself on the pillows, and doing it over and over and over again.
- got his first pair of rain boots
- likes splashing on puddles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home