Friday, July 11, 2008

Guilt trip

How did we (or our mothers) ever survive our childhoods? Dex is going through the toddler stage and I'm a nervous wreck. At every turn, there seems to be unavoidable perils especially when he's practicing his walking.

He took another tumble today. He was tired after dinner and was clinging to my leg as I was trying to put dishes away. Then he tried to reach up and he must have lost his balance. Down he went and the cry started right away. (When they cry right away, you know they ain't faking!) I held my crying baby and cuddled him. I slowly took him upstairs for bath time while he cried on my shoulder. Then when I got upstairs and started to change him I realized that there was blood coming from his mouth. Of course, when we tried to take a closer look, the more he screamed and turned his face away.

So, another weekend, another emergency visit to a health professional. We're lucky that we only live five minutes away from our dentist and that our dentist is open late. At 7:30 pm tonight, we headed over there to get his teeth checked.

No obvious damage to the front teeth -- just a cut in the gums but we are to watch for any discoloration (b/c discoloration means nerve damage). Poor, poor boy. How guilty did mommy feel after this incident?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I don't think you should feel guilty after what happened. After all, can mothers alter the rules of gravity and collision kinematics to protect their children? I also think that parents shouldn't be expected to prevent life's negativity from reaching their children, but they should extend love and support when the inevitable happens and from what I've been reading you've been really great at that.

P.S. I think I should save this comment somewhere so I can reflect back on it when I have kids, I'm sure it'll be a completely different story.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home