Saturday, May 10, 2008

Another sign

Repetition. Repetition. Repetition. It looks like it's finally paying off.

Dexter started signing for "more" yesterday. I know that I have claimed that he's been signing for "more" in previous posts, but he was actually using the wrong one. He was using the sign for "milk" (squeezing fist) as a catch-all sign for "want" so when he wanted more of something, he would look at the object of his desire and sign for "milk."

The sign for "more" looks like this (fingertips touching together on each hand then tips touching together like two birds kissing).

Yesterday, I was feeding him dinner and when I asked him if he wanted more, he put his two hands together. I thought at first that he was trying to clap, but then it occurred to me that he was actually trying to sign except he lacked the coordination to do it properly. He is using the sign consistently and only in the context of "more" so I'm thrilled that he is actually trying to communicate with me/us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home