Sunday, November 18, 2007

Wookies, and Klingons, and bears, oh my!

Dexter's geekification has begun. Let's put it this way, Dexter is going to grow up thinking Wookiees, Klingons, and pikachus (thanks to Ate Rose for that last suggestion) happily co-exist on Old MacDonald's farm.

It all started when I tried to make "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" a more interesting song. I tried to come up with outrageous creatures with good sound effects and, after introducing gorillas, elephants, snakes and bears to the farm, I found myself mining popular culture for other ideas. That's how it escalated to Star Wars and Star Trek characters.

It's all in fun, I thought, but then I started to worry... What if Dex gets teased for not knowing the rules of Old MacDonald's farm at daycare? What if his kindergarten teacher has no sense of humour? Is this going to backfire on us? Will he write nasty things about his parents when he grows up? Will it be the root of future transgressions like the wearing of an ermine cape to school and the inexplicable urge to play Dungeons and Dragons between classes? Have I condemned him to a life as a social outcast? And what the heck is a pikachu, exactly? Rodent?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home