Friday, August 10, 2007

Growing pains and gains

The first time Dex recognized my face, that's when it finally hit me that we actually have a sentient being. Before that, he was just a cute doll that I fed, changed, and patted to sleep.

I've often wondered how women can stare at their children all day. Now I know why. Babies are absolutely fascinating. It is amazing how quickly they learn and develop. In very short order, Dexter went from simply staring at his toys to reaching out and trying to grab them.

Before we left for holidays, he would just stare at toys waved in front of him. Now he's doing all sorts of fun things. He's clutching at them and bringing them straight to his mouth. Of course (he's teething, you see).

He screams in delight when I tickle and play with him. He can now roll over one way, from tummy down position to his back (where he would get stuck thereby prompting his upturned turtle imitation, arms and legs flailing in the air). He can amuse himself staring at his hands or watching his mobile.

The clutching is entertaining. If I hold out a toy just beyond his reach, it's fun to watch him will his hands to grasp it. He'd stare at the toy while his little fingers do random independent movements, inching slowly closer to the object. Franken-grabbing as Jon calls it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home